Audi is a German-made vehicle known for its cutting-edge technology, unique style, and Quattro all-wheel-drive system. The camshafts tensioner is a part of your Audi’s engine system. It is very useful in internal combustion engines and mechanically controlled ignition systems.
The camshaft tensioner ensures that the belts, including the serpentine and timing belt, maintain tension and stay firm while running. The tensioner utilizes oil from the engine to sustain tension and keep the belts running. However, the camshaft tensioner is susceptible to damage, which could result in oil leaks from the tensioner. If left unattended, it could cause irreversible engine damage.
Considering the importance of tensioners to your Audi’s performance, knowing the signs to watch for indicating a leak will help keep your vehicle in great shape and prevent irreversible engine damage.
Basic Signs of a Camshaft Tensioner Leak
The tensioner in your Audi is very important and is instrumental to keeping up the pressure on the Audi camshaft belt. If the camshaft tensioner starts acting up, you will encounter one of the following signs:
- Unusual noise: If the Audi camshaft tensioner fails, the tension needed to keep the belts firm is absent. The loose belts will make loud pounding, clicking, or ticking noise under the hood.
- Difficulty accelerating: The most obvious performance change you would notice indicative of a leaking camshaft tensioner is difficulty accelerating. Without proper tension to hold the belts firm, they may slip during operation. When this happens, you may have difficulty accelerating.
- Heavy exhaust fumes: An indication of a damaged camshaft tensioner is smoke coming from your vehicle’s exhaust. Apart from the environmental impact, your engine is also at an increased risk of irreversible damage.
- Sudden or premature belt wear: Although the belts are susceptible to natural wear and tear, when oil spills from the camshaft tensioner onto the belts, it accelerates the belt’s wear. This results in premature or unexpected belt failure.
- Overheated engine: While your Audi’s engine may overheat due to several factors, a leaking camshaft tensioner could also cause your engine to overheat. A leaking camshaft can damage your timing belt. The failure of the timing belt would cause your engine to overheat.
How to Prevent Camshaft Tensioner Leaks in Audi
Camshaft tensioner leaks in your Audi can seriously hamper your vehicle’s performance. Discussed below are some ways to help you solve camshaft tensioner leaks in your Audi:
The routine check of your vehicle before driving will help you notice little changes in your vehicle before it becomes full-blown. With routine inspection, you get to notice any little change in your camshaft tensioner and quickly have it fixed before it becomes worse.
Regular oil changes
Regular oil change helps keep your vehicle running on clean oil. Contaminated oil tends to foul your engine, causing damages to engine components, including the camshaft tensioner resulting in leaks.
The longer the oil is in your Audi, the higher the chance of debris buildup. Once the debris circulates through the system, it can damage engine components. Suppose the debris particles are large enough to create holes in the system. This is when leaks can occur.
Attend to strange sounds
Paying attention to the slightest sound change will save you a lot of money and stress in the long run. If you notice any weird sound emanating from the vehicles, you should get it checked immediately.
Although the camshaft is susceptible to natural wear and tear and would wear down with time, following the recommendations above will help ensure its longevity.
Trust Momentum Motorworks with all your Maintenance and Repairs
At Momentum Motorworks, we believe that your Audi requires high-quality service to maintain its high performance. Our commitment to quality work and customer service has made us the number one-stop-shop for German vehicles throughout the Birmingham area.
With years of experience working exclusively on German vehicles, we know what your car needs and have the latest software, factory-grade tools and equipment to deliver the performance you expect.
We have consistently delivered impeccable repair and maintenance services throughout Birmingham, AL. We also welcome drivers from the surrounding cities of Alabaster, Homewood, Helena, Hoover, Mountain Brook, and Vestavia. Please call or visit our shop today to schedule an appointment or learn more about our services and maintenance programs.