BMW is a German automaker that’s been around since 1916. In that time, they’ve produced some of the world’s most iconic cars and trucks. BMWs are known for their performance, luxury, and style, and one thing that makes them really stand out is their transmissions.
BMWs have always used innovative transmissions that help make their cars some of the best-performing on the road. The latest BMW transmission is the 8-speed automatic. This transmission has 8 gears that can handle a wider range of speeds than a traditional 6-speed transmission. It also has paddle shifters so you can manually control the gears if you want more control over your car’s performance.
The 8-speed transmission is just one example of BMW’s commitment to producing high-quality, innovative transmissions that give their drivers a better driving experience. The transmission is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels.
BMW transmissions are made up of several components, including the clutch, gearbox, and differential. The clutch is what allows the engine to disconnect from the wheels when necessary, such as when shifting gears. The gearbox is what actually changes the gears in response to the speed of the car. And finally, the differential is what helps distribute power evenly to all four wheels. BMW transmissions are well-designed and offer drivers a smooth, responsive ride, but when they start to fail and slip out of gear, it will ruin your ride and potentially put you in a dangerous position.
How to Identify Gear Slipping in Your BMW
BMWs are known for their precision engineering, and that extends to the transmission. However, even the best transmissions can slip under certain conditions. If you notice your BMW shifting gears unexpectedly or having difficulty getting into gear, it could be a sign that the transmission is slipping. This can manifest in a number of ways, such as the car hesitating when accelerating or feeling like it is shifting gears unexpectedly. Let’s look closer.
- You may notice a sudden loss of power while driving. This can be accompanied by a grinding or whining noise from the engine bay. You may feel like the car is losing power suddenly, as if you’ve taken your foot off the gas pedal.
- Additionally, you may find that it becomes difficult to shift gears, or that the car lurches forward when you do. This sudden increase in engine speed is a response to a slip of the gears.
- The engine may begin to over-rev when you try to accelerate, or you may see the RPM needle bouncing erratically.
- You may also notice strange noises coming from the engine, or the transmission may feel “sloppy” when you shift gears.
If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s important to have your BMW checked out by a qualified mechanic as soon as possible. Slipping gears can cause serious damage to your car’s engine and transmission. Problems can worsen quickly and can be expensive to repair, so catching the issue early is essential.
Common Reasons for Transmission Slips
There are a number of possible causes for this issue:
- Low fluid levels, worn clutches, or a faulty solenoid can lead to transmission slipping and problems with engine performance, especially when you need it most, like merging into traffic or crossing traffic.
- A reason why the transmission might slip in a BMW is because the transmission fluid is low. This fluid is what helps to lubricate the engine and transmission, so if it’s running low, it can cause the gears to slip.
- Another possibility is that the transmission filter is dirty or clogged, which can also lead to gear slipping.
- In addition, worn out clutch plates can cause gears to slip, as well as a problem with the pressure plate.
- Finally, if the engine mounts are damaged or broken, it can cause vibrations that lead to gear slipping.
Momentum Motorworks for your BMW
If you’re having problems with your BMW’s gears slipping, it’s important to take it to a qualified mechanic who can diagnose the problem and fix it. BMWs are complex machines, so it’s best not to try to fix the problem yourself unless you’re confident in your abilities. With proper care and maintenance, your BMW will continue to provide you with many years of driving pleasure.
If you’re experiencing these symptoms, visit us today from Alabaster, Homewood, Helena, Hoover, Mountain Brook, Vestavia, and Birmingham, AL. We’re eager to earn your business!